Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Not too big to need mommy

Some days, (most days really!) my children are busy busy busy. They're doing their thing. Being rowdy two and a half year olds, or quiet book-reading 14 year olds, or working at a real job 16 year olds, or visiting with grandma 9 year olds.

And I think that sometimes I feel like the day of the mama is over. 

Sometimes I need a reminder that I am still needed. I tend to feel sad that my kids aren't dependent on me like when they were babies. So I step back and look at the big picture. 

Just because the two year old is generally on the go from morn til eve, doesn't mean he won't sometimes need to stop for a cuddle. 

The keep-to-herself 14 year old sometimes needs a friendly ear to listen to her ideas. 

The nine year old basically just needs mommy's attention at all times if in the same general vicinity!

The barely home anymore 16 year old might need to bounce a couple thoughts off the shrewd "been there done that" mommy-brain in order to feel more secure about a decision she's about to make. 

Hey, even the already married and moved out of the nest "adult" child will call you up for advice or a listen ear or stop by for the occasional "mom fix"!

Remember when you knew what your job as a mother was exactly? Feed the baby, dress the baby, change the baby, bathe the baby. Those were the EASY days of parenting! You knew exactly what to do, when to do it, how to take care of the situation. 

It's a little more difficult to figure out where you fit in to the older children's independent days, but you're definitely still necessary mama :)

Tanner needed a cuddle this morning. Although he didn't want me to take a picture! Lol! His foot was pushing my camera arm away ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment