Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Take the happy with the sad

The happy is that we got our Life of Fred books today :)

They are awesome. Kela is going ahead and working her way through Fractions today :) She has been reading the chapters aloud to me, and we have been giggling excessively. The humor is right up our alley ;)

Next up on Fractions is Cassie.

I have Faithy writing down her multiplication tables. Because after she does not do them for a long period of time (in this case over a month) she forgets them. She knew them backwards and forwards, but I guess I am a bad teacher, because I forgot to have her work on them since we started WV History... Ooops.


So she is working on remembering them before she starts back up on the mathematics :)

In other news, we have had a sad day. A family friend died last night of cancer. Karla was 41 years old. She was an identical twin to Marla and had never been married. She and her father had recently been baptized. She has had cancer that was in remission for over a year (I think). Then she became ill with pneumonia (I believe, sorry I am a bit sketchy on the exact details) and had to be hospitalized. And when she found out her cancer had returned and it was terminal, she insisted on being let go from the hospital and went directly to be baptized, and then her father was too.

We are distantly related on my mom's side of the family. They go to Lost Pavement church, where Mommy grew up worshiping.

My mom wrote a poem for Karla a couple weeks ago, and it was very sweet. They had asked Mommy if they could read parts of it (it was long) for the funeral.

So I have been crying alternately with my giggles when Kela reads to me from her Life of Fred book.

Karla's mother is a very dear sweet lady who I have always loved, and I am so sorry for the whole family.

1 comment:

  1. My heart goes out to you for the loss of your friend Karla sweetie. I will keep you and the family in my prayers.

    Isn't it great when you and the kiddos can have fun with the curriculum. I'm so glad ya'll had the 'giggles' today! :o)

    God bless and have yourself a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete