Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Grateful

I am very grateful for what I have. A family in town's house burnt down, and they were lucky to all get out with their pajamas on.

That makes me feel very grateful for what I have and thankful I am warm and comfortable in my own house.

That would definitely be devastating.

But it got me to thinking. I am sure they are just as grateful for what they have now at this moment as I am for all my stuff.

They still have each other. They have kind friends who are taking care of them.

When things like this happen, it is tragic, yes, but it always brings out the best in people.

Several people have posted on facebook the sizes and needs of this family, and you should see the response.

Kindness abounds when tragedy strikes!!

I strive to be kind even in non-tragic situations. I don't always manage! I am going to try and use this example and keep myself on track. People need kindness in their every day comings and goings, not just when they are at the lowest point in their lives!

I will try to remember.

5 comments:

  1. Well said, dear girl. Yes, I am amazed how people rally in a tragedy.

    Have a beautifully blessed day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, isn't it, that something like a tragedy can bring out the best in some people and the worst in others (I'm thinking looters here)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend's brother recently had the same thing happen. Luckily, his wife smelled the smoke and everyone got out alive. When she went into the kid's room, there were flames! And the kids were still sleeping! Can you imagine?? I'm sure after an experience like that, stuff doesn't seem very important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a website or something that we can find out what they need or maybe just send money?
    I know what you mean. It is sad that it takes tragedy in someone elses life to make us realize what we really have and how wonderful our lives really are. I do it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It always makes me sad that it takes a tragedy sometimes to make me remember how much I have to be grateful for. Thanks for the reminder to do it without the tragedy just now!

    ReplyDelete