Thursday, September 10, 2009

Classics Challenge - Finished!

I finished!!! WOOT!!! I finished my first ever reading challenge!! :) I love classics, so when I found this, it interested me enough to actually try it :) Originally the end date was in September, but apparently she changed it to October 31st at some point...

I enjoyed all the books except Tess. Tess stunk. But I have found that pretty much everything Thomas Hardy wrote was awful.

I also read O Pioneers, by Willa Cather, and it was ok.

But I never could finish Ulysses. It was just too much. It was too.... abstract (?) for me, I guess. I replaced it with A Death in the Family, which was a good book.
I enjoyed Dune and Cranford the most. Dune rocked. Cranford is just my style :) I didn't exactly "enjoy" Brave New World, but did enjoy the political perspective it gave me.Catch 22 was good, it reminded me of M*A*S*H and made me laugh, and think! Catcher in the Rye was kinda silly to me, but you know, I am old.. :-p I also really enjoyed Life of Pi and The Book Thief. The Book Thief especially. It was an eye opener. I guess I never tried to put myself in the place of anyone who wasn't a Jew under the Nazi regime... Interesting perspective there.



Classics Feast (6 Classic books)

1. Catch 22 by Joseph Heller - DONE

2. Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger - DONE

3. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley - DONE

4. Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy - DONE

5. Ulysses - James Joyce

I never got through Ulysses. So I am changing #5 to A Death in the Family - James Agee - DONE

6. Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell - DONE

The Modern or Future Classic Bonus:

7. Dune by Frank Herbert - DONE

8. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - DONE

9. The Life of Pi by Yann Martel - DONE

14 comments:

  1. Yay you! How awesome to be able to complete that. And what a good example for your girls.
    Larissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a neat list and you read 3 new classics!!
    I still need to read one more classic for this challenge..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! You're such an inspiration! I really loved that my mom read a lot of books when I was growing up. I often wish I was the same way. But, my kids are still young, so I still have time to change my ways. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im sad to admit that I slacked off big time on the challenge. I had a good excuse right?
    Loved Book Thief and Life of Pi very fascinating reads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed! I have read almost nothing since Andrew has gone past that newborn phase, and I miss it! I know it is a season of life thing and once they are older, I'll have time to read more again, but still...as a former heavy reader, it bothers me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome. Great job! And a whole lot more impressive than the fluff on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, you go girl. I love to read, what an inspiration you are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so impressive that you finished the challenge! I guess I have probably technically finished it in that I have read the required number of classics, but they aren't the ones on my list, and I'm stubborn like that.

    I'm having fun reading about your goats and your fun farm-ish life! That's something I've dreamed about since I read the Little House books as a child. But not so many farms in southern California. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. I didn't like Tess either. Hardy just makes me want to claw my own eyes out. Except for his poetry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I think if I ever read another Thomas Hardy I may end up clawing my eyes out. haha

    You know what's funny about this challenge (or perhaps the word pathetic might work better there in place of funny)?

    I was SO CONFUSED about the Modern classics not actually being classics, that I had to switch it all around and add another *actual* classic - that was Cranford. And that is why I have those three modern classics down there.. hahaha I am a pathetic classics challenger! :-p

    And I knew early on that I was not going to read Ulysses at this time, so I knew I needed to replace it, but didn't know what to replace it with, so I just picked a book that I had read ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on being finished with the challenge!!! I'm sorry you didn't like Tess. :( I really loved it last year. Ulysses? You're a brave woman trying that one!

    Hope you'll join next year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I plan to! (If I don't forget! haha) It was a wonderful challenge and I absolutely enjoyed it. Thanks Trish!!

    ReplyDelete