Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The bribe.

Muahahaha

:)

I am bribing my two oldest girls to do school work this year ;)

I have compiled a college bound reading list for them. And I told them if they read all thirty books before the end of the school year WITHOUT ME HAVING TO GET ON THEIR BACKS REMIND THEM, then I will give them $20 each :)

They were kinda excited. Even Kela :)

Here is the list:

Little Women
Anne of Green Gables

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
Gulliver's Travels

Robinson Crusoe
Oliver Twist
A Christmas Carol

The Adventures of Huck Finn
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
The Prince and the Pauper
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court

To Kill a Mockingbird
The Scarlet Letter
The Red Badge of Courage
Uncle Tom's Cabin*

The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman*
Madame Curie*
The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl

A Wrinkle in Time
Animal Farm
Fahrenheit 451
The Martian Chronicles

A Death in the Family
Invisible Man*
Main Street*
Call of the Wild
O Pioneers!

Twelfth Night
The Taming of the Shrew


Now I have not read all of these (those marked with the * are the ones I haven't read), and so I am going to try to read them first and they can be the last ones the girls read. Or if I don't get a chance, it is not ...that ...important, because my girls are pretty good at filtering the good from bad in books and movies and stuff. :)

But they have to do book reports for each book before they get the mulah! :)

I am hoping it will make them excited for the long haul... I am hoping! :)

I also have another literature book to go through with them now too. It was my cousin Nathan's, who is a High School English teacher. It was an extra :)

So we are pretty set for Lit.!! :) I love reading, so this excites me, sorry for the overflowing of the bubbly enthusiasm and half/incomplete sentences because of that! lol ;)

8 comments:

  1. I'd skip the Bell Jar if it was me...it just wasn't my cup of tea. Quite a hefty great list though. I think they can do most of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I may replace it, then. I didn't check into some of them, but just took them from my "want to read" list...

    Any others that I asterisked??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I removed The Bell Jar, and replaced it with My Antonia :)

    Thanks for the heads up Jeanie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting. I love most of those books. Some I haven't heard of. I just might go through and read some of those again! I LOVE the Anne books. Do they get to read all six of them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a wonderful list!

    Grownups get paid for their work, so I think there are times when it is very worthwhile to fork over cold, hard cash to get something done.

    As far as not wanting to nag, uh, I mean REMIND them constantly - I am taking the same route with AWANA this year. The Princess has to be responsible for her own progress. No progress, no club.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great list! I probably would have added "Lord of the Flies" and something by Jane Austen, but I cannot fault the books you chose one bit. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, they have already read Anne, and Kela has already read P&P, but I told them any of the Anne books will work. :)

    But, for My Antonia, I told them they have to read the previous two books first, even though they are not on the list. Tricksy mama! ;) hahaha

    They seem to be getting MORE excited!! YAY!!! :)

    I have to admit this is my most exciting subject (next to algebra, naturally! ;))

    Thanks everyone for your input!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Algebra...I feel a little nauseous just reading the word...

    ReplyDelete