Thursday, July 02, 2009

Work work work

Kevin and I have been working on my Aunt Linda's kitchen this week. Busy busy!

As I sand the doors, I love watching how the grain appears. It is so pretty! Linda chose hickory, which is a variegated grained wood. Some parts of it are dark and some parts are nearly white. Makes for a lovely contrast in the doors :) And when you sand the wood, the grain sort of comes up. I am sure someone else could explain it better, but it is really cool.

Also I have been noticing that different woods smell differently. I mean, I knew this on an intellectual level before, but I know it on an olfactory level now. lol

Basically, Oak smells good, Maple smells ok, and Hickory STINKS! haha

Kevin doesn't think it stinks, but I do. I think it smells like weeds. :-p

Anyhow, we have been working hard trying to get it finished so we can cart it all up there by tomorrow! Daddy is letting us borrow his truck and stock trailer to take them up. We have to clean the horse poop out of it before we can load the cabinets on though ;) haha

Hopefully we will be doing that today. Kevin is spraying the cabinets today too, he gives them three coats of lacquer to make them nice and shiny. They always end up beautiful!!

Linda finally got high speed internet, so hopefully I will be able to get pics up of the kitchen as soon as they are finished installing the cabinets!! :)

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like alot of work! I bet the doors are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You guys are working hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful, talented couple you are!

    Reading about your close extended family and all your doings is like getting a hug every time I read your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey beautiful! My blog's up. not much going on over on it right now. I miss you. You still on Facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love working with my hands and building things, what a feeling of accomplishment! I just wish I had all of yours and your husbands talent.

    ReplyDelete