Thursday, April 09, 2009

Thomas Hardy stinks.

Seriously, how can people LIKE this stuff????????

Tess of the D'urbervilles is AWFUL. Almost as Awful as Jude the Obscure.

None of the laws of common sense rule the characters, and so the books are just stupid.

Now don't get me wrong. I understand that people do stupid stuff and they have to abide the consequences, but the characters in his books are just UNREASONABLE.

I was going to try to read Return of the Native someday, but I have no desire to whatsoever. I am crossing Tess off my list and now I understand why I don't remember reading it. I had to have blocked the craziness out of my mind for the sake of my sanity. ha

6 comments:

  1. Have you read a Prayer for Owen Meany? They actually talk about Tess in the book and I was fairly curious to read it but maybe not now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny Lawanda!

    I felt that way after The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. I used to love her writing but that book had so much misery, I wanted to throw it when I finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched the movie and hated it. I LOVED the actress and really wanted to like the movie. But no. They were stupid, stupid people and made no sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you don't like this one you'll loathe beyond belief, Return of the Native. Far from the Madding Crowd is his best I think. He must've been in a good mood when he wrote that one.

    As for me, I liked this one. Sorry you didn't. It is sort of depressing, but the social statement is a strong one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll agree with you that this was pretty depressing and Tess just made you want to smack her most of the time. You do have to look at Hardy as a person to understand his works. He was pretty pedantic about his religion and the novels were created as works of learning. Far From the Madding Crowd and Under the Greenwood Tree are much more positive, and I think really better represent what he was trying to say. Maybe he was using Tess to try and point out that even religion could be taken too far and that moderation would be the better policy. Still, the drearyness of the book is hard to take. I told my friend it was like reading, Life is hard, then it gets harder, and just when you think it can't get any worse, it does, then, after all that, it gets really bad and finally you die. Woo. Go Hardy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, you know, Far from the Madding Crowd wasn't too bad. That was the first one I read.

    I agree with you TheBlackSheep, because that is exactly how it was. UGH.

    ReplyDelete