Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Cranford

Elizabeth Gaskell was a fan of Charles Dickens. Not that I blame her, I am too :) She obviously enjoyed referencing his books in hers, as fine works of literature :)

I saw this in Cranford, and it made me smile :)

I had never heard anything of Cranford before and I enjoyed it a lot. It gave you a nice peek into life in the late 1800s. I always love a book about good people who do good things and are sorry when they've not been doing quite as good as they know they should have, too. :) I love books that have decent people in them, because in my opinion the decent people are the ones who make the world go round :)

It was such a relief to read Cranford after all the Thomas Hardy drama.

Don't get me wrong, there is drama in Cranford :) But it is of the sort that is overcome and taken care of by those good folks I was referring to ;)

Anyhow, it was cleverly written, and engaging, and I will prolly read it again someday.

I have watched a part of Wives and Daughters, and now have read Cranford, and I enjoy Elizabeth Gaskell's writing. She most definitely does not have Jane Austen's brilliance, but writes an entertaining story, nonetheless :)

3 comments:

  1. oooh, sounds wonderful. I want to read it, now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Gaskell's Wives and Daughters waiting on my to-read stack - I really need to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me, too! Have you seen North and South (not the American one)? I've heard the book is much better and can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete