Saturday, March 07, 2009

Right up my alley :)

I have FINISHED this challenge!

--------------------------------------------------------
Carrie posted about this Classics Challenge 2009.

And my first thought was, "Well, how about that??"

Because, guess what?! I have already challenged myself to read several more of those books from the Facebook 100 Books List!! Most of which happen to be CLASSICS!

:-D

This is from the Classics Challenge site:

**Choose Your Level (Keep reading for Bonus)
1. Classics Snack - Read FOUR classics
2. Classics Entree - Read FIVE classics
3. Classics Feast - Read SIX classics

**Rules/Guidelines
1. Cross-posting with other challenges is allowed (and encouraged!)
2. Audiobooks are fine
3. Re-reads are acceptable, BUT books must be finished after April 1st to count for the challenge
4. Lists don't have to be set in stone; you can change your selections at any time.
5. Have Fun!!
6. You do NOT need a blog to participate.

**Bonus!! (Optional)
Last year we compiled a list of books that we think might be considered classics one day. I've wiped out that old list so we can start fresh, but to get an idea of what others suggested last year [...] To start off the list, I'm going to suggest Atonement by Ian McEwan.


So I am doing the Feast... and the Bonus. :) From my understanding, you can pick your classics from any classics list. So I am using the Facebook "100 Books" list! (Those on my list will be some of the 100 books that I thought I'd read before, but couldn't remember AT ALL.)

This challenge doesn't start til April. So the books I have already read and will be reading in the coming weeks won't count. But that's ok. I can read a book a month easy.

So...I already started on some of the books I thought I'd read, but couldn't remember. So far I finished Far from the Madding Crowd and Rebecca.I had wondered where the title of the first book came from. Here from wiki:
Hardy took the title Far from the Madding Crowd from Thomas Gray's poem Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard (1751):
Far from the madding crowd's ignoble strife
Their sober wishes never learn'd to stray;
Along the cool sequester'd vale of life
They kept the noiseless tenor of their way.

"Madding" means "frenzied" here. [3] The title may be ironic: the five main characters – Bathsheba, Troy, Boldwood, Oak, and Fanny Robin – are all passionate beings who find the "vale of life" neither quiet nor cool.

I don't think I have ever read that one before.
The second one (Rebecca, which I had confused with another book entitled Rebecca, so I had never read this one either) was horrible. Unless you like stupid endings that are revealed (for the most part) in the beginning. It was just a book that was full of itself. I don't like books like that. And predictable.

Why are some books so predictable? Both of those books were soooo predictable.

Anyhow...

Here are my books for my Classics Feast to read from April to October. This list is subject to change. Especially if I read them before April. LOL

1. Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
2. Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
3. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
4. Life of Pi by Yann Martel
5. Dune by Frank Herbert
6. Ulysses - James Joyce

I think a modern or future classic would be Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I don't know if they will count that or not, though, so... I am going to make my Bonus:

7. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Let me know if you do this challenge! I am excited about it, especially as I had just challenged myself to read more of those books on the FB list!!! :D

9 comments:

  1. Im definitely going to do this too!
    I just finished Life of Pi and it was a very interesting good read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool - you've got a Hardy on your list, too! I'm glad you're doing this - always helps to have company. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great list!! Catcher in the Rye is the only one I've read. The Book Thief is on my tbr list and would make a perfect bonus round choice. Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is a great challenge! I can not believe it is already March and I have not read even ONE book! I am sure you remember my list from last year...I don't know what is wrong...I just can't get into reading. I think this is probably the longest I have ever went!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dune...ugh. My husband would like it if I read that but I shudder at the thought. However, he wanted me to read LOTR and when I finally did I loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah...excellent choices--I love James Joyce! Well, I love "The Dead"; I've never made it through one of his novels, but Ulysses is on Miss Kannenberg's College Bound Reading List. That's my freshman English teacher's list that I laughed at in high school but now regret ignoring!

    Best of luck with the challenge, and thanks for stopping by my blog--I'll have to come back here sometime! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comment, I've really heard a lot about The Book Thief.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only read 1-3 and they are AWESOME! I can't wait to hear how Ulysses is because I've always wanted to read it...but I'm scared! It just seems like a huge undertaking!

    Happy Reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for signing up for the challenge! (And for visiting at my regular blog). You've got a great list going--I think Life of Pi was on last year's list of "future" classics, but I don't know if it has been suggested yet or not. It is definitely a thinker, though. Good luck with Joyce! (ick!) :)

    The Book Thief is fantastic. And actually, the Harry Potter series has been suggested as future classics--so Deathly Hallows is game for the bonus.

    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete