Thursday, March 19, 2009

Classics Challenge revisited and a small review

Here are my books for my Classics Feast to read from April to October. This list is subject to change. Especially if I read them before April. LOL




1. Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

2. Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger

3. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

4. Life of Pi by Yann Martel Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (this is a definite re-read for me, although I cannot remember any of it!)

5. Dune by Frank Herbert

6. Ulysses - James Joyce



The Modern or Future Classic Bonus:



7. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
and/or
8. The Life of Pi by Yann Martel

It was brought to my attention that The Life of Pi was more of a Modern Classic...so I switched it around duly.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Now for my smallish review...

I finished the Twilight series. :)

What I am about to say will not make me popular.

I enjoyed it.

BUT I also felt like I wasted approximately three days of my life. haha Each book took me about a day to read.

I really liked the last book. It was very good reading. Most definitely not appropriate for teens. But a very good book. And the first three pretty much left me with the feeling that they were backstory and filler for the last one. It is like she was sorta writing her way into a good plot, finally.

The reason my assessment of this is not gong to be popular is because the first three books are the popular ones! :-p

This series is in no way comparable to Harry Potter. Jo Rowling as a writer leaves Stephanie Meyers in the dust. But only because the series belonging to the latter just wasn't as thought out and clever as a whole as JKR's :)

She had bits of clever in there! It was pleasantly surprising when I would come across something clever.

But the whole thing wasn't one big clever puzzle that made you think about every detail and rethink every minutae...in the most enjoyable way a book can... like HP.

The last Twilight book had a decent plot. And a climax... and good guys verses bad guys... and and and SUBSTANCE. That is what I missed in the first three. It wasn't merely Bella loved Edward, or Edward loved Bella, or Bella loved Jacob, or Jacob loved Bella... It was LOVE CONQUERS HATE!! :D Good always wins over evil!! Now that is a good theme!

I liked it!! :)

And I am glad I read it. I feel like I wasted my time on the first three. She could have squashed them into a nice tidy prologue with no loss of continuity or story, imo, and it would have been better. hahaha

So there's my "smallish" review. :) Please don't hate me for it! ;)

5 comments:

  1. I will say that there were things about the last book, that I felt udderly riduculous and was about to throw against the wall. I still kept at it and enjoyed it.
    Whoever tries to compare this series to HP has a screw loose. Theres nothing to compare as far as better than the other, their each their own entity of fantasy fiction. It's just a matter of opinion on what type of fantasy you like best. Good review.

    I can't wait to hear what you thought of Life of Pi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read these. My friends are reading them, but I just cannot get into anything that has a vampire. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit the vampire thing bothers me too.

    I was pulling for a whole reversal, as in Bella would have been like their antedote!!

    I mean why not. It is fiction and none of it is real, so instead of the tack she took, I was REALLY hoping Bella was their antedote somehow.

    Vampires are just so DEPRESSING. And obviously they are just so into sex, because they don't need food, they don't need sleep... what else is there to do! hahah

    So, yes, the whole concept of vampires bothers me.

    The last book reminded me of Heroes, which is why I liked it so much, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Won't be reading these as I have too many books on my shelf calling my name. I have never been a big fiction reader, so why start now :).
    Thanks for summarizing, now I don't feel left out!
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review. Neither Lilly or I have been the least bit interested in Twilight, but it is nice to at least know what what the story is about!

    ReplyDelete