Friday, February 13, 2009

So, I am feeling like the world's worst

And you can insert anything I am to you right there. If I am your daughter, I am the world's worst daughter. World's worst Niece? That would be me. Friend? World's worst, right here. (This post is an apology of sorts, but mostly it is just a vent about motherhood... haha)

WORLD'S WORST MOTHER.

Especially that Mother part of me. I am feeling like the absolute bottom of the heap as far as being a mother goes. I am starting to feel a little better than I had been, because I am trying to be more calm. I am trying to refocus on the basic reasons and original rules for everything. That usually helps.

For instance: The basic reason that someone doesn't roll their eyes at someone else when they are speaking to them (Mom included) is that it is rude. When someone has done something rude, it hurts someone else. It may just hurt their feelings, but the original rule is, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

So eye rolling is not allowed. Because you don't want that attitude given to you, therefore you refrain from giving it to anyone else.

But you try explaining THAT to a 13 year old girl who is frustrated with her Mom because she wants to do something and Mom said no... and won't explain why she said no. (I have tried explaining the "why", but that doesn't work. Trust me. it only involves more eye rolling and lots of "That's stupid." So in order to keep my sanity I explain once and never again.)

But re-examining the original rule... that almost always helps. Because my girls are sweet at heart :) Even when they say not-so-nice words like "stupid"...

And I have to keep at it with myself too. Because under stress, I become sort of a monster-mom, so to speak.

(Apology part approaching----)

So, I am TRYING really hard to refocus on everything good. (The original rules are the "everything good", cuz they come from God.) And maybe I won't feel like such a horrible _______ (insert whatever I am to you here) anymore!!!

Thanks for your patience! :)

3 comments:

  1. I think everyone feels that way sometimes. I know I do. I hope things are going beautifully in your world before you know it. In the meantime, I'll be praying for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm praying for you, too. I hate going through these times, myself. And I'm not even dealing with the teen years, yet.

    Hang in there. You're a good mama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there! We all have days like that. And as a mom who has her own tween daughter (Natalie is 12), I think I will adopt your "only explain once" rule - it will help reduce much frustration on my part, I think.

    (Hugs)

    ReplyDelete