Monday, October 13, 2008

Little things

I am feeling ill today. It actually started last night. As soon as we got home from church I went directly to bed. And I do mean directly. I think it was lucky that I even stopped to change into night clothes! I wasn't feeling so hot most of today either.

But today we had to go to Charlie's funeral.

I have known Charlie nearly all my life. I was never close to him or anything. I knew him, and that's all. Well, I knew his story, mostly, too. His story is that his wife was horribly mean, and divorced him and then never let his kids anywhere near him ever again. In spite of him being such a harmless individual. While he was definitely harmless, Charlie was a person who had many problems. He had epilepsy, and some mental incapacity. He always liked to lead singing in church. He always did a fine job too. We sang "No Tears In Heaven" at the funeral. That song always makes me cry.

But the fact that neither of Charlie's kids came to his funeral, while lots of people who he went to church with did - that made me SO SAD. His brother talked about him and it made me just cry for him and his loss. It makes me think that no matter what we are to the world, we can mean so much to our family. He spoke of playing with his brother as a child, and you could tell how much it meant to him to see those of us who came at the funeral.

Little things. (Like going to a funeral even when you aren't feeling your best.)

They matter.

9 comments:

  1. Sure do hope you are feeling better!

    I agree, it matters. Little things,big things, it all matters and it does make a difference even though some days it sure doesn't seem like they do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww.... you just never know what little thing you do in your life can mean in a much larger way to someone else.

    (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you feel better soon!

    What a touching story...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our little things sometimes are HUGE things to others. I think we all know someone like Charlie.
    I hope you are feeling like yourself soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I"m so sorry that you are feeling poorly. I hope you get well soon!

    Little things really do matter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. feel better soon! your sure a wonderful, thoughtful person, and your right those things do matter and to many people including myself sometimes lose sight of that. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, I am sorry to hear you are feeling so poorly! But I am glad you stuck it out and attended the funeral.

    What a hard life for Charlie. I'm glad you were all there for his brother.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Charlie, that is awful, thankfully he had good people in his life and friends in the congregation. How sad about his kids.

    Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete