Thursday, October 09, 2008

Early Memories

I was talking to my mil this morning and somehow we started talking about early memories. I was telling her that I can remember living in our old house down on Winding Road. From which we moved to our new house up on Winding Heights when I was 3 years old!

So this is what I remember:

  • Sitting in the chair with Daddy watching cartoons. I don't remember his cast. But he had fallen into a crushing machine at work and his leg was broken in three places. He was in a big cast for a year. He must have watched a lot of cartoons with me :) It was when my mom was pregnant with Randall.
  • Falling off the outside stairs while watching the neighbor, Pete Patterson, cut his hay. I still have the scar on my forehead ;)
  • Sliding down the dirt hill by the driveway, and Mommy yelling at me because my pants were so dirty.
  • Jumping on the bed in the little bedroom shared by me and Randall.
  • The bathroom. I just remember what it looked like when we lived there.
  • Sitting at the kitchen table and watching Mommy wash dishes ... or clothes... not sure. But I remember she was talking and singing to us. Must have been me and Randall. Which means she was pregnant with Leanna, or Leanna was a wee baby :)
  • Playing out back near the shed.
  • I also remember banging a hammer at our new house (now 30 years old!) when they were building it! And Grandma Vanfossen helping me :)

So do you have any early childhood memories?

I remember a lot about our new house too, when I was little. I remember a lot about my Grandma Vanfossen's, and my Grandma Sams', and my Aunt Linda's too! I walked up to my grandmas' and over to my aunt's houses all the time even as young as 4 or 5!

Ahhhhhhhhh. The memories.

7 comments:

  1. Neat stuff. I'm glad that your memories are mostly happy and seem to center around your family life. I have some vivid memories of a camping trip my family took when I was 18 months old. I have a few hazier memories of things like being in my baby bed when I was even younger. Most of my clearer memories start when I was around 3, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My earliest memory is of my third birthday. Other than that, early memories are sketchy for me. How fun to have so many memories from early on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of good memories I have. I can remember being 3 or 4 and mad at my mom about something and wanting to run away. So I took some of my clothes and "ranaway" by making camp in the backyard and eating strawberries from the garden for food. I was a runaway for all a good 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember to about three years old, too. I loved that house, and the one that came after.

    When my kids hit three, I think to myself, "Now comes the stuff they will actually remember." That can be good...or scary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't remember anything! I have the worst sense of memory. My sister remembers everything. I remember my dad giving me a spoon of cocoa to eat because someone said it would make toddlers stop crying at night. It made me throw up. I don't remember if I stopped crying. I do remember the nightmare that made me start crying though. Weird, huh? That was at 2 years old and I don't have another memory until the age of 7. Weird, again?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know what, this is exactly what I've been thinking about these days, about how far back my memories go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww...that is sweet. I remember lots too.

    And SEE, I told you she looks like a Tombliboo LOL.

    ReplyDelete