Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Grandma is singing now, I am sure

No one needs to say how wonderful Grandma Sams was. We all know. She breathed her last breaths this morning around 8:10. I miss her already. She had a strong heart. Even after she stopped breathing her heart beat a couple more beats. Grandma was tough and tender, and she was a true inspiration to be near. The nurses kept saying how blessed Grandma was to have a family to come be with her like we did. We all just kept saying it was us who was blessed. We had her as a mom or grandma or mother-in-law or grandma-in-law, and we understood it was an honor to be there with her.

I love to think that Grandma is singing to God now with her beloved husband and others, like in the last verse of this hymn. Grandma loved to sing. We all do. I guess we got it honest :)

Guide me, O Thou great Jehovah,
Pilgrim through this barren land.
I am weak, but Thou art mighty;
Hold me with Thy powerful hand.
Bread of Heaven, Feed me till I want no more;
Bread of Heaven, Feed me till I want no more.

Open now the crystal fountain,
Whence the healing waters flow;
Let the fiery, cloudy pillar
Lead me all my journey through.
Strong Deliverer, Be Thou still my Strength and Shield;
Strong Deliverer, Be Thou still my Strength and Shield.

When I tread the verge of Jordan,
Bid my anxious fears subside;
Bear me through the swelling current,
Land me safe on Canaan’s side.
Songs of praises, I will ever give to Thee;
Songs of praises, I will ever give to Thee.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, Lawanda, what an awesome testimony! And I'm so glad you can rejoice in your grandmother's homecoming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sweetie, I am so sorry. Let me know if there is anything at all I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lawanda {and family} I am so sorry to hear that your grandmother passed away. I do know that she isn't hurting anymore and she had a life of God's grace. What a wonderful tribute to her and also to her family. Love you, I'll be thinking of you. ((((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lawanda, I am sorry for your loss, I know you will miss your grandma so much. You are right, she is singing at His feet now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing to know that she is with Jesus! I will be praying for comfort for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lawanda ~ Your grandma sounds like one nifty lady. I too am uplifted by your testimony ~ and what a beautiful hymn! ( what is the name of it?)
    Funerals are for the living; death is a happy occasion for the dead, especially those who have lived well. Your grandma sounds like she lived well, loved well, and is well loved.
    What a blessing & inspiration to have been mentored from!
    Loves & hugs ~
    ~Red

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry that you had to say goodbye to a loved one.But I am so glad that you have the Lord as your comforter.
    God Bless You

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lawanda, Hugs girl! You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prayers have gone up for you and your family Lawanda, but how amazing that you grandma is now home with the father! That is the ultimate joy! Remember that in the midst of your sorrow.

    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete